THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Thursday, May 18, 2023

Where to Begin.....


 When last I posted, over a month ago, we had gotten my parents moved and were recuperating at home and preparing for a trip to NC for Jax's first birthday. Luckily, we made it through his birthday celebration but by the end of the week I was pretty sick with what we thought was the flu. We were supposed to babysit for the weekend while my daughter and hubby went away on their first solo trip in a year. Well, I wound up spending three days in bed while Rich took care of the little guy. We drove home on Monday, straight to the ER. Turns out I had a UTI run amok.....none of the usual symptoms...that had gotten into my bloodstream causing sepsis. Luckily, they were able to treat me at home with antibiotics, but his really wiped me out. I didn't pick up a needle for 10 days, I was so tired and feeling really crappy. I'm just glad we caught it, because I've been told that can go from bad to worse very quickly. I am happily on the mend, back to stitching and up for a blog post.

Now on to my stitching news.....I have been working on some birthday gifts, so can't share them at this time. But I have still managed to get in some small pieces. I finished another Prairie Schooler Santa (2009) and he will go in this green box with five others.

Stitched on 40 ct Dirty Newcastle linen (over 2) with Sulky and Anchor flosses


Then, I took the polar plunge and did the polar bear by Hands on Design. I think I'm going to do these for the grands this year. 

Stitched on 32 ct. mystery blue linen with DMC and Anchor flosses

I'm going to participate in the Colorado Stitcher Summer Camp again this year, so have been working on picking out my projects and stitching the camp badge. This is a fun 'virtual' camp...no pressure! If you're interested you can check it out here: Summer Cross Stitch Camp


 

I came home from my parents with a couple of treasures. First is a piece I made for my grandmother back in the 70's. I think I need to reframe...don't you???


 Then, this is the gift my great grandmother gave to my parents for their wedding over 72 years ago. It's made from tiny hand painted sea shells. Relatives tell me I got my love for needlework from Grannie Duke as she was a wonderful seamstress. I am glad to have something she made in my possession. Here is a photo I have of her.


 


That's all she wrote, folks! Hope all is well with each and every one of you. A special thanks to those of you who checked on me during my absence. I will try to get back on the posting wagon!!! Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship.

Stasi

17 comments:

  1. So glad you are feeling better. Continue to rest as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stasi, what a terrible health scare! Hope you're feeling much better and get your energy back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky to have caught the sepsis before it got too bad. I had it two years ago; at first they thought it was Covid so treatment was delayed for a good week or so. I ended up in the hospital for 9 days and it attacked my liver...had to have a drain put in. I was lucky to come out alive. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are on the mend and hopefully, your energy level will return you to normal! Beautiful piece you created for your parents and a beautiful picture of Grannie Duke. Thinking of you, Stasi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of your health issues but glad you are on the mend. Take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to have you back and pleased you got over Sepsis, my FIL died of it after getting a UTI. I think you missed posting the shell picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Stasi, that's scary! I'm glad they caught it in time, hope you are feeling better.
    Cute projects, & your Great Grandmother was beautiful.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're on the mend, Stasi. Your great grandmother looks like a keeper. Take care of yourself. Miss your smiling face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly! Thankful you got medical attention and that you’re on the mend. You know you’re sick when you don’t stitch. Thanks for sharing your work and your treasures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stasi: So happy to see a post from you, you have been missed.
    Your grandmother is beautiful, how lovely you have the seashell gift from your great grandmother to your parents.
    Your Santas will look wonderful in the box, looking forward to seeing it all finished with them displayed.
    The sampler you did in the 70s is beautiful, polar bear is adorable, thank-you for the link to the Summer Cross Stitch Camp.
    I hope you are completely healed I have had the same infection, it is horrible.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a go of it you've had this month, Stasi! I am so, so relieved that you went in to the ER to be looked at right away when you got home. That must have been a bit scary being sent home to treat yourself... thankfully, everything is fine now, but I'm sure it really shook you up. I've been sick this entire week with some flu/cold thing and it sure takes a while to bounce back at our age, doesn't it? :)

    Your stitching looks great and I love the treasures from your grandmother. I started my stitching "career" with crewel embroidery pieced for my grandmother in the 1970s as welI. Love the old photo of her--I can definitely see the resemblance! Happy you are back on track ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, no fun for you! I certainly hope that by now you are back to 100%.
    Your Santa looks great. I'll have to make two of those when I get to that year, the Gmen might fight over just one.
    Oooh, the polar bear is my favourite!
    The summer camp looks like fun, I'll have to see if I can get something together to join in.
    Reframing the flowers is a good idea, maybe then you can see them all?
    The photo of your Grannie is so lovely, and so is what she made for your parents. They are both treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Stasi, Firstly, I'm so sorry I've visited of late or rather that should be commented. I thought I had left messages on some of your recent posts, but apparently I didn't, so I have some catching up to do.

    I'm so sorry that you were ill but hope that by now you are well and truly over it. Thank heavens for antibiotics and that they were able to treat you at home.

    The two items you brought back from your mums are true treasures, especially the picture made from shells, it's so unusual.

    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete