THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Sunday, May 28, 2023

A Dreary Sunday......


 It's a dark, dreary day today...as my photos will attest to....but....perfect for some finishing. I finished stitching the last of the gifts I've been working on and my Santa is nearing the finish line. He needs beads added and to be put together.

I attended two Guild meetings yesterday, via Zoom, and started my next Prairie Schooler Santa.

The first meeting was with the Delaware Historical Sampler Guild and was a stitch in; we chatted and stitched away. The second was with the Western Reserve Sampler Guild where they had a presentation by Katie Strachin. OMG, she is a wonder!!! I had heard about her floss tube but never checked it out. I don't watch a lot of floss tube, but I think that is about to change. Katie does  historically based needlework, but adds her own bit of style. Her projects take years to complete, but are true works of art. She gave us a short talk on caskets and then shared her own work. I was blown away!!! She uses a lot of stump work, needle lacing, gold work etc. using fibers I have never heard of....very 3-D.  It is waaaaay beyond me but I can certainly appreciate all her labors, research and execution. She is very knowledgeable and a delight to listen to. Here is a link to her website if you'd like to stop by and drool:

https://katie-strachan.com/
 

I am so thankful that many of these sampler guilds have continued using the zoom format after covid. They offer many opportunities to participate when you are not local...both classes and presentations. I think I belong to 5 now.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the Memorial Day weekend. Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship!

Stasi

5 comments:

  1. Your Santas are looking good, Stasi! Glad you enjoyed both your guild meetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of Katie on many flosstubes, but have yet to watch hers.
    We had a beautiful day yesterday & ended with a cookout with relatives & friends.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the Katie lead...her work is outstanding. O to have the uninterrupted time to for indulge in such endeavors. Just love your near-finished Santa....looking forward to the finale. Hope yours has been a relaxing holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to join those groups that you can do virtually, in the comfort of your own home!
    Wow, she has created so many amazing pieces, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your Santa's are looking great Stasi. I've just started my first ever Prairie Schooler Santa for my next 12 in 23 ornament.
    I can remember seeing a demonstration of stump and gold work at the Alexandra Palace Stitch Show, here in the UK many years ago and was totally mesmerized by the process.

    ReplyDelete