THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Saturday, March 11, 2023


 The Banff Film Festival was interesting last night. We saw documentaries about skiing, ultra kayaking, a polar bear and a woman, Stephanie Chase, who ran approximately 280 miles over the course of 155 hours (6.5 days) with only 4.5 hours of sleep!!! I don't know how the human body can do that. She was running to bring awareness/support for the women of Afghanistan where she had started a running group for women, Free to Run, before the fall to the Taliban. We go again tonight for different movies; it's a cheap date for $7.00 a ticket!

On the whole, I find Market not to be as frenzied as it was when I would go in the late 90's/early 2000's. Back then, we didn't know what was coming out until we got to Market, so there was always a buzz of great expectation. We also didn't have a good idea of what would be popular...or not....so numbers were always a guessing game. Now, with the internet and social media, everyone pretty much knows what will be released, or at least has a tiny 'tease'. It sure makes it much easier for shops to take pre-orders and know how much to buy. But, it has taken away some of the anticipation and excitement. There were a lot of missing designers too; it is a LOT of work to display at Market and many of the designers are sadly getting older, like myself, and it's tough physically. But again, their on line presence makes it easy to know what you want and send in an order to a shop. So, all in all, it is a wonderful experience...different but still inspiring and motivational. I am a lucky girl to be able to go!

I was wondering what you all were captivated by from the recent Market. Can you share some of your likes in the comments? It's fun to see what strikes other stitchers fancy.

Beth Twist had a cute idea concerning a QR Code. She had one imprinted on a small piece of wood; you then scan with your phone and get taken to a free chart. Shops got one when they placed an order...very cool and techie!!! It's a new world!!!


 Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship! Hope you have  a great weekend and maybe get to Market Day at your LNS.

Stasi



5 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that Covid is still making it's presents felt at big gatherings like that. Things will find the 'new normal' I'm sure and there's lots of new designers coming along to fill the gaps of those missing. Happy Stitching! Sue
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like just about all of Stacy Nash's new releases and a couple by October House Fiber Arts as well. The trouble with seeing them all featured on the net for weeks is that I fear going off them before I get my hands on the charts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movies sound interesting.
    It seems like Market has changed a lot.
    I wonder how much longer it will last, or maybe just be online some day?
    I think my favorite is Summer Quaker by Lila's Studio, so pretty!
    The QR code is a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The QR thing is interesting, but leaves some of the population behind who are not tech savvy unless shopowners will offer print copies of the chart. I liked hearing your thoughts and perspective on the markets of the past and the current form. I think with the internet and social media playing bigger roles, it is easier on shop owners to spend their monies on what their customers prefer and I think pre-orders can help with that. The films you saw sound interesting and I can't wait to hear what you saw on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could say I saw something from the new market releases that I just had to have, but that's not the case. I have so many older patterns in my stash that I like more so I'll just stick to them :)

    ReplyDelete