THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

When the Cat's Away......

....the mice will play...in this case my hubby, Rich! First, let me say I have the BEST husband...he rescues me when I'm stranded and in trouble and works hard at home while I'm away having fun! 

The back story....I was supposed to pick out a cutting table for myself for Christmas last year, but couldn't find one I really liked, so kept putting it off. Not long ago, I saw one on Pinterest that was made out of some shelving units from Ikea; there are evidently lots of ideas out there where people take products from Ikea and "remake" them into something else.....they call them "Ikea hacks"!!!   Ikea Hack--cutting table I was able to print off some directions and we stopped at Ikea on one of our trips to/from Baltimore. We needed three 2X2 cube units which Rich hooked to each other. He then added a bottom with wheels and a melamine top. It is just what I wanted... no more having to carry everything down to the kitchen counter or cut out fabric on the floor. Here is Rich's final product--thanks babe!



Once I get my craft room back in order, I will share some photos of my "woman cave".

Now some stitching....I've had this chart, Celtic Banner by Butternut Road, since 2000 and  was able to nab the original called for fabric on FB right before Christmas. It's a 29 count Glenshee linen (and I love Glenshee), so will be on the large side. I planned to start January 1st, but the stars just weren't aligning. I'm doing it the called for fibers, mainly DMC, but I also need 2 Wildflowers. Sadly, the designer didn't put the number of skeins needed but I know it will be more than one. I put a plea out on FB hoping to find someone who has stitched it and could guide me, and got a range of responses from people who also have it in their stash, but not stitched. Sara, from Salty Yarns is going to order me a few skeins of each, so I can have the same dye lot. In the meantime, I went ahead and started the alphabet. Now these letters are approximately 1 to 1.5 inches high, so you know it's a larger count linen, but actually a nice respite from the 32-40 I usually prefer.



It's snowing here--schools are closed, but we are heading out to get a new tire for my car and pick up some groceries. Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship.

Stasi
 

13 comments:

  1. Your cutting table looks fabulous, Stasi. Well done on your husband's part! Hmmm, I think I would have hoarded that piece of Glenshee fabric. LOL We had a dusting overnight, but will head out later to Yoder's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great cutting table! Your new start is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new stitching island. Great idea. I remember seeing Meg wearing her banner. She stitched and put it on the front (as a panel) of a floor length jean jumper (I think it was denim). She wore it out at Rockome Gardens. Enjoy stitching it.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! Sorry I can only reply to you here, but you are listed as a no-reply poster, so I don't have your e-mail. :(

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love the new cutting table, Stasi! I especially love the fact that it was a joint adventure with your hubby...those are always the best.
    I love the blue baskets against the white cabinets and table...I can't wait to see it all filled and in use, as I think you are going to get many wonderful years of projects out of it...I'll be here watching and cheering you on.
    Your new start is beautiful, and looks like a fun WIP.
    I love IKEA! I have my cutting/work table from IKEA and love it...it was a joint adventure too ;) Our men are keepers, you and I.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stasi I love your new cutting table...would you like to loan Rich out??? I need a table like that so bad. I do the same thing...lug everything down to the kitchen table from upstairs. The only good thing is the exercise.

    Your new stitch is wonderful...such pretty letters. I love the shape of them. I really enjoy stitching letters on a chart. Can't wait to see it done. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is one talented Knight in Shining Armor!! I am envious of that great table!! He did an amazing job on it. Having it on wheels is brilliant! I love the pretty blue baskets too. You are a great team!

    Love the Celtic lettering on your stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing that link, Stasi! I've been wanting to redo my studio too and this could be a good solution. I've had a cutting table for some time now and it really is nice to have. Mine doesn't have this much storage though. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvelous cutting table! Great idea and it looks really nice too! Nice start on Celtic Banner and that linen looks absolutely yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great cutting table, Stasi! I love the Celtic Banner. I don't think I've seen that one before. It should be a lot of fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love that table, Stasi! I sure wish my husband was a woodworker... I asked him to build a simple storage cupboard for me and he looked at me like I was an alien. Might have to just do it myself :)

    Lovely new project, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Ikea hack! I too have an Ikea crafting table. Great for cutting fabric and perfect for wrapping presents too. And your Celtic banner, was just looking at a finished one on the wall of a friends and realized it was the same one you are doing. It is a loooonnnnnng one.

    ReplyDelete