THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Monday, May 6, 2024

Ireland 2024


 Greetings friends!!! I know it has taken me awhile to post about our trip to Ireland, but it took a couple days to reacclimate to our time zone, then I was off to OCMD for the DVHSG spring retreat, then home for three days and up to MD to visit my parents. It's been a bit of a whirlwind, but I am finally sitting down to give a synopsis of our trip. It may be a bit longer than usual!!! :)

We started out, on a bad note, by having our flight cancelled due to weather after sitting at the airport for almost 10 hours with postponement after postponement. We finally got on the plane only to have them cancel the flight altogether. Because of that I got to experience my first Uber ride, as our daughter had dropped us off earlier in the day and it was too late to call her to pick us up. In the end, this was a good thing as I went to Urgent Care the next morning and found out I had a UTI...got antibiotics right away and was able to go on the trip with no issues!!!

So, we started a "do over" the next day with no issues and the rest of the trip went off without a hitch. We landed in Dublin for two nights, met our fellow travelers and bus driver/tour guide, Niall. 

Coming in for our landing

He was a hoot and gave us good "crack", but also shared  Irelands sad history to us.......The Uprising, The Troubles, The Hunger. ( Crack means a good time/fun over there) Niall's favorite words were "you fecking eejit" as he navigated the bus around for us. We toured the Kilmainham Gaol, the jail where the leaders in the 1916 uprising were jailed and executed, got a bus ride overview of Dublin, visited the EPIC (Irish Emigration) museum and had dinner at a pub where we saw Irish dancers and musicians. 

Here we are with Niall

Kilmainhan Gaol

The next day we left for Cork, visited a traditional farmhouse for tea and scones and stopped at Waterford Crystal. We woke up the next morning and had a walking tour of Cork in the pouring down rain! We were prepared with rain coats and that is just how it is over there. Everybody has their rain gear on hand and continue with their errands, jobs etc.. From there we went to Blarney Castle...I did not kiss the stone or even climb the stairs to the top. This was our worst day weather wise with blowing rain. I was afraid of hurting my knee and being miserable the rest of the trip Rich did climb the stairs but did not kiss the stone. He is not a fan of heights and you have to lay on your back, about 80 feet up, and bend backwards to kiss the stone. He said the stairs were wet, uneven and rain was blowing in as you climbed down. I think I made the right decision.

 

This was dedicated to an Irishman who lost his life on 9-11

We then spent two night in Killarney, where we got to experience a jaunting car ride to Ross Castle, drive the Dingle Peninsula and see a sheep dog demonstration. I even got to hold a baby lamb. They were all over as we drove the back roads; we hit right after lambing! While there we visited a couple pubs, took a ferry ride across the Shannon Estuary and visited the Cliffs of Moher. gain, not the best day weather wise...very windy and they had to close some of the paths. But we managed to see the cliffs through a bit of fog!

Jaunting Car Ride

Town of Dingle


Dingle Peninsula



Cliffs of Moher


Reminded me of a Hobbit House

Then we went to Galway for two nights.....had a walking tour, took a cruise on Lough Corrib, visited Kylemore and Ballintubber Abbeys and Belleek China. The it was on to Derry for two nights.

Belleek China's Shamrock motif

Ballintubber Abbey

Beautiful marble posts at Kylemore Abbey

Kylemore Abbey

From Derry we drove to the Giant's Causeway, which was my favorite part of the trip. I kept thinking I would "feel" something when I was in Ireland due to my great grandparents emigrating from there in the early 1900's...but nothing....until I hit the Causeway. Then I was overcome by "feelings" and even teared up...not sure if my ancestors had been there....but I know I was moved for some reason. There is a legend about the Causeway and I'm sure you can find it on the internet, but it involves a giant and a stone "road" he built between Ireland and Scotland. Lots of cool rock formations and scenery.....many hexagonal shaped columns! While in Derry, we crossed the Peace Bridge to a brewery, saw a beautiful rainbow and , of course, the Derry Girls!







Next, it was on to Belfast...another walking tour, a visit to the Peace Wall and the Titanic museum there. The Titanic was built in Belfast, there there is a huge connection there. Then it was on to a working apple orchard where we had a picnic lunch and could taste their juices and hard ciders. we even all got to down a shot of apple cider vinegar...not as bad as expected!


Titanic Museum

Signing the Peace Wall in Northern Ireland

Our final night of the tour was spent at Cabra Castle in Kingscourt, built in 1760 and reputed to be haunted. No scary experiences for me though! We had a delicious dinner there and said farewell to our bus traveling companions.

Cabra Castle

Rich and I made our way back to Dublin for an extra couple days. We wanted to do a Game of Thrones tour that started there. Little did we know we could have stayed in the North and taken a tour there, but we wound up having a 12 hour round trip back up north to see filming sights from the show, dress in cloaks and wield swords. While back in Dublin we also visited Trinity College to see the Book of Kells and the library that was used in the Harry Potter movies.

Book of Kells at Trinity College...we saw one page of the original but it wasn't one of the pretty pages...this is a replica

The Library at Trinity College---used in the Harry Potter movies

Our Game of Thrones group at the remains of Inch Abbey

Me holding Arya's "Needle"

Our tour guide, who was an extra in GOT (He's also the lead singer in a Doors cover band)

Then it was back to reality...luckily with no hitches. It was pretty easy, actually, as you do the Customs thing over there. We had a fabulous time and I would recommend you visit if you can. It was high on my bucket list and I enjoyed every moment of it!!!

Our last photo in Dublin before we left for home

Not much stitching was accomplished while there...I think I "frogged" more than I stitched while on the plane and I didn't want to miss anything while touring.

I'll end with some photos of the beauty of Ireland and a sign in an elevator which pretty much describes the Irish people to a "T"!






If you stuck with me this far....thanks....I hope you enjoyed my recap. 

Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship. Enjoy your week!

Stasi



6 comments:

  1. What an enjoyable travelogue, Stasi! I'm sorry the trip started off a bit wobbly (especially glad that UTI was caught before you got on the plane, though!), but it looks like everything from there on was very memorable. Loved all of your photos--especially you with the baby lamb and those three scenic ones at the end of your post. Did you go with a tour group? I totally can relate to that "feeling" you got in the one spot as I had a similar one when I walked the grounds of OSU where my mother went :) Definitely felt a special something as I know you did. Thanks for sharing--I know posts like these take a long time to put together. Glad you are home safely and can get back to your stitching again ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you had a good holiday despite the dreadful weather. It hasn't got much better since you left, we had a couple of warm days last week when I was able to get some gardening done, but the weekend has been wet - but then this is Ireland, what else can you expect. Good to have you back blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great review.
    I enjoyed all of the pictures.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible trip you had, Stasi! Totally enjoyed your pictures and the journaling of your experiences. I am sorry your original flight was cancelled, but at least you were still able to get there. Glad you are home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious! Thanks for taking me along. I do so hope to go one day. For now, this will do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I enjoyed your trip to Ireland! I saw many of those sites when I visited years ago. It was nice to see them again!

    ReplyDelete