THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Strolling into April (91)

I'm starting April with a post in honor of my godfather, James Edward Codd Jr.. Uncle Jim would have been 94 today and was the "keeper" of our family history. It was quite fitting that his birthday was April Fool's Day as he always had an impish twinkle in his eyes. I miss him and the special times we had visiting him and Aunt Anne at their home "in the country". They hosted our huge extended family three times a year, Memorial Day, Labor Day and the Fourth of July and wonderful memories were created. Uncle Jim always set off fireworks, but the main attraction was him setting the creek on fire and us all squealing with delight as it floated down the stream. I know, I know, not very environmentally friendly, but the highlight of our celebrations! Times sure were a lot less complicated then.

Anyway, this project was requested by my Dad quite a few years ago. He had an antique chair from his Aunt that he asked me to make a new seat for and he would like the family crest depicted. I traced a picture they had of the crest and transferred it to canvas to needlepoint. My intention was to stitch the whole seat, but quickly decided I'd never get it done and went to plan B. I pieced fabric around the stitched section in the shape of a shield and covered the seat with that. Worked out pretty good and saved me HOURS of boring background stitching. So this post is kind of for my Dad too since he was the motivation behind the chair. I am happy to say that the "chair" recently came home with me and I will save it to pass on to another "Codd" someday. 






I forgot to share my purchases from last weekend. I got a few items that came out in Nashville and a few older designs.





Hope you're off to a great weekend wherever you are and that you don't have any April pranks pulled on you.

Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship!

Stasi


 

 

3 comments:

  1. Stasi, I enjoyed reading about your memories of Uncle Jim. Thank you for sharing! What a treasure you created with the chair seat! Nice additions to your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome family treasure you created with the chair. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What what a lovely story behind this beautiful chair and how wonderful that it " came " back to you and will be passed on to another Member of the Codd Family.
    Thank you for sharing with us
    Nice additions to your Needlework future projects that I will be looking forward to admire

    ReplyDelete