THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Monday, July 6, 2020

I'm Going Off the Rails of the Crazy Train....... (558-560)







I can't seem to get that verse out of my head after listening to it play on my car radio. I didn't even know who sang it so I googled it....Ozzy Osbourne. I thought I'd read some of the lyrics and here is the first verse:

"Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe it's not too late
To learn how to love and forget how to hate. "
 Yikes, I so wasn't expecting that, but it rang true for today's issues. If only........
It has so saddened me lately how fellow stitchers are attacking each other on social media to push their agendas and not showing respect for others whose opinions/beliefs may differ. Yes, we are ALL brutally aware of what is happening in the world today and want to see things change. But there is a place and a respectful way for expressing said views without trying to ram them down peoples throats. I tend to find I get my ire up when I see others being bullied and jump to defend them even if I don't agree with their views. Sometimes being "mean/nasty" can be counter productive...just my humble opinion...enough said!

I have continued to be a crazy woman stitching and it's time to share. First up are my FFO's. I showed this last post, but not FFO'd. Here is Fourth of July Sampler  by The Humble Stitcher.  stitched it on 40 ct. Iced Cappucinno, over two, with VMSS fibers.   I wanted it plain and simple..no frills! This was my first time using sawdust as a filler and I love it. You can get it very firm and it holds shape well. I have a big tub of it from my SIL, and will definitely use again.


Next up is Project Quarantine  by With Thy Needle and Thread. I stitched this on a 40 ct mystery linen, over two, with a combo of DMC, WDW, GAST and VMSS (trying hard to stitch from stash). I had a frame I'd bought a couple years ago from Wal-Mart that was the perfect red. Now it had a wooden cow, mounted on chicken wire, in the middle, but I removed the cow and glued fabric covered mat board over the wire. Added some pretty red rick-rack (thanks again, Robin) and voila!





This last FFO was a major save!!! I had stitched this in 2013, as a box, and  finally started to FFO it last week. I accidentally tore the perforated paper and that would have meant for a very messy joined corner. So, I had gotten a cute little hornbook at Hobby Lobby the week before and inspiration hit! I Mod Podged the stitching....yea I know, but  otherwise I couldn't cut without all the stitching unraveling....and glued it to the painted hornbook. I think I like this much better than the box! WIN!!!!







Now my SAL status:

FB Peppermint Purple Blackwork SAL

iStitch Designs Burgandy Sampler Band SAL (only 1 week and bonus chart left)

Learning Stitches by Jeanette Douglas via Sassy Jacks


 A couple new starts: 


Token of Love by WTNT.....stitching, over one, on a 28 ct. mystery linen with WDW and CC. I chose a darker blue, Teal Frost, since I had in my stash and subbed Putty for Sandcastle for the same reason. It seems Oscar is a tad hard to come by so I sent out a plea on FB and a stitchy friend came to the rescue...thanks Nancy!I love these colors!!!



Then I finally decided on a piece to do in honor of my second granddaughter, Esther. She likes ballet, flowers and the color red...and this really seemed to fit the bill. This is French Schoolgirl Sewing Bag and Smalls by Needlemade Designs. The original design for the bag front said "Amities" and you would put initials of friends and/or family there. But Esther asked if I could put the wod "love", so I obliged her. I found four different large alphabets and stitched each letter in a different style. I may go back and add some initials but am going to wait until the end. It's stitched over one on 27 ct. Natural/red ticking banding with GAST Soot and CC Cupid. This ones going to take awhile!!!




Then, in the midst of it all, I stitched up this dapper turkey......Dressed for Dinner by Erica Michaels. I did him on 7 ct. Klostern with #5 perle cottons and Rainbow Gallery Tweedie. I wanted him  to look like the turkey we all made in school with the brightly colored feathers. He's a bit out of proportion to go with my LK pilgrims, but that's okay, he'll hold his own.



A couple things to end with...look at this cute little fan you hook into your phone!!! Hopefully it will help me when I'm hot outside!!!




And, Rich and I had a hankering for some steamed crabs over the weekend so, yesterday, we took a little drive (about 2 hours) to Billy's Crab House just over the line into Maryland.  The crabs, shrimp and hush puppies were delish and you can see we ate it all!!! A nice respite from the "crazy train"!!!







I hope you are enjoying your summer so far and continue to do so. Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship!

Stasi



10 comments:

  1. First, your crabs and shrimp looked incredible. Well done on cleaning your plate, Stasi! Your finished stitches looks super. Hard to pick a favorite! Which VMSS threads did you use for the Fourth of July Sampler? Your SAL pieces are looking good as are your new starts. Happy Monday and have a good week, Stasi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said your grandaughter likes ballet, I immediately thought of the Linda Vinson set! That's a great reminder to get mine out again. I love the changes you made on yours. Stay safe! Stay sane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wOw! You are really cranking them out Stasi! Lovely, lovely projects my friend! I am not on FB. I have a feeling you are talking about nastiness on there. I am not sorry I am missing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects, & I'm sure Esther will love hers.
    That little fan is too cute.
    Mmmmmm, the seafood looks so delicious.
    Have a great week!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are spot on, lady, with your assessment of "things" (wink-wink) going on out there. If only we could all just live by the Golden Rule 24/7. It's hard, but we must try. What a terrific collection of finishes and WIPs, Stasi! You never let the grass grow under your feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I missed out on the nastiness, too busy getting projects done, unfortunately not stitching projects. YOu on the other hand are a stitching dynamo!! I can't believe all you have accomplished since your last post. Your little save with the hornbook is brilliant and very cute. 2 beautiful projects from my favorite designer. Great progress on your SAL's. I LOVE the French stitch for Esther, so sweet that she wanted Love on it and you found such pretty lettering. I love just about any kind of seafood and I'm quite envious of your crab dinner!!! I had a good chuckle over your little fan!! That would do nothing for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esther had the right idea with the word love. The world needs more of that, especially now. It looks perfect on the French School Girl design, and I really like the alphabets you found! It's looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Esther had the right idea with the word love. The world needs more of that, especially now. It looks perfect on the French School Girl design, and I really like the alphabets you found! It's looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stasi: You have been very busy, I do like your finishing on the FFO's.
    I am loving the design for your Granddaughter, I am looking forward to seeing it finished.
    All your works in progress are lovely.
    I am like you I am tired of the bullying, it is a shame these days one cannot have an opinion or they get lots of flack from others, I like to believe we all have a view and I never say they are wrong.
    It is a scary world these days, I long for the simpler times when every one got along better.

    Catherine

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Stasi! It is so nice to be back visiting all of my stitching friends. I have missed you all so much. Thank you for the beautiful card you sent while I was sick...it meant the world to me. So much gorgeous stitching to admire an ooh and aah over. I love it all. That turkey sure is cute!!! It is nice that Esther is so into the stitching too. It is good to have your own idea. Have a great week my friend. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete