THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Etc...etc....etc.

Sorry...couldn't resist that line from a favorite musical, The King and I.

So, to continue with my last post.As you can see, I had a fabulous time at Salty Yarns. Betsy is a wonderful teacher and the gang at The Lankford/Salty Yarns are most hospitable!

While there, Sally was celebrating her birthday and I try to gift her with a stitched piece. This year was no different and I actually managed to get two pieces completed. They are both from Tools of the Trade Part 1 by Blackberry Lane Designs. She has done a series of (I think it's up to 5) charts with coordinating smalls. I stitched the pin keeper on 28 count Light Mocha cashel (over one) with Gloranna silk (cranberry).
front


back

I\
I also stitched the pin cushion but instead of finishing it in a salt cellar, I had found an adorable chick egg cup. Since Sally is always calling us her "peeps", I thought it was quite fitting! I stitched that on 30 count R&R 18th Century Red with Kreinik Silk Mori 8000. I had to be a little creative with the finishing since the cup was deeper than a salt cellar. I came up with the idea to fill the cup with cranberry seed beads.
top of pincushion

Peep



Next up is my gift from my roomie, Debbie. She gave me a very fitting box filled with all manner of goodies: L'Occitane soap and hand cream, a beeswax beehive, antique spool, sea shell candy, fun sticky notes, decorative Kleenex and paper clips shaped like glasses!!!How fun!!! Thanks Deb!

Contents of gift box


Since my dear friend , Paola, was coming to this event, we usually exchange a gift..or two. I had gotten her a lovely wood turned, acorn shaped needle holder from a guy selling on Facebook and a sweet needle book from In the Company of Friends; sadly I forgot to photograph them.  This is what I made her. I had seen some wonderful "bee" fabric on line that was just calling to be made into a project bag. I used a pattern from a kit I had bought years ago from Merry Cox called A Token of Friendship. I substituted my fabric and stitched the little friendship saying to go on the flap.  



My gift from Paola was stunning!!! She stitched a Jeanette Douglas design on 40 count linen, then attached it to a completely hand sewn pouch. The colors, trim/ribbon, charm, and fabric choices are absolutely PERFECT and so ME!!! Her stitching is divine and precise--I wish you could all see it up close and personal! I know it was stitched with love and it is a true treasure!!! Inside was an adorable pincushion with a beautiful counting pin and wooden needle case (great minds think alike). Thank you Paola!




So now I must madly prepare for my trip to Cincinnati. I leave early Thursday morning with my travel buddy, Debbie. It's a bout a 7 1/2- 8 hour drive but we'll stop along the way--sadly no needlework stores I'm aware of along the route. Skyline Chili will definitely be our dinner choice when we get in! Friday is a play day and Friday night I'll meet up with my fellow "Twisted Sisters". Saturday is a full day class with Merry Cox, then heading home Sunday morning. Will update when I get home, though probably not right away---I feel I'll need a recuperative few days....maybe more at that point!!! Big news coming of a personal nature, so please check in next time.

Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship! Hopefully, you haven't been too bored by my ramblings.

Stasi

4 comments:

  1. Oh Stasi, I loved this post. I don't know how that sewing set slipped past me. So cute. Of course I love the bee fabric. LOL! Next time you are in town, we have to get together. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely gifts to give and receive! Have a good trip to Cincinnati! Look forward to hearing about it in the future!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea for using this stitching piece. Hope you enjoyed your `Merry Cox` class. I so enjoy her patterns to stitch but sadly can`t find any now. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete