THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

This Ones For the Girls............

that is my two girls, Kris and Jess. I stitched Miss Trenners Needlework Academy with them in mind because there are two girls featured in the design.
inside small box 
 I am happy to say I taught both my girls to stitch. However, try as I may, they have both chosen different creative paths. Kris loves to paint, do pottery and lots of crafty things for her home and two children. She has just started to sew and is finding all kinds of cute projects on line. Jess enjoys quilting and making wearable art  out of found/recycled items. She's always looking for ideas for projects for her students. I guess all those years of having them make Xmas ornaments for family paid off!!!


On to the piece! This was a limited edition kit from With My Needle and came with the papier mache boxes, wooden ruler/thread holder, sheep waxer and lining fabric. (I do think it is available as a chart though w/o the extras). I changed the fabric to 36 count Light Espresso linen from R&R (had it in my stash) and used Vicki Clayton silks. Now while I liked the feel of the silks and the fact they were wound 1 strand on tiny bobbins, I wasn't happy with the conversion from DMC to her silks--they were much lighter than the DMC colors. Granted I was converting from NPI to DMC to Vicki Clayton so something may have been "lost in the translation". Since I can never seem to get the mat board bases cut perfectly round/oval, cording seemed to be the ticket to finish off the insides. It hides a multitude of sins and gives a more polished look.


Here are the photos of the finished product:


boxes







inside large box


Inside lid of small box

Outside Needle Page
Inside Needle Page and Scissor Fob






Needle page folded up front
Needle page folded up back








It is snowing here...has been since around 10:00 this morning. It's not really laying but is sticking to the trees. Here's a photo of out tree spirit with heavy snow lidded eyes. :)



Until next time...I'm thinking it's a sea salt caramel hot chocolate kind of night!!!
Thanks Debbie! If I could drink it in a red solo cup......I would!

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Such beautiful pieces! I'm in awe of the finishing, I need more practice in this area.

    It is great that your daughters are creative in their own way. I think exposing children to arts and crafts is important and then they pick what appeals most to them. With my 2 boys, their creative outlet is writing, but they can identify certain quilt blocks so I did have some influence~LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Stasi
    your finishing is beautiful. Thank you for sharing and....
    that tree spirit, I saw him and he brings back such sweet memories...
    take care
    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stasi -

    What beautiful work! Thank you so much for sharing. I'll keep checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stasi

    I just stumbled upon your blog.

    Would love to show photos on my blog of your beautifully stitched and finished Miss Trenner's Needlework Academy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen--no problem. Let me know if I need to do anything.
      Stasi

      Delete