THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Welcome 2023.....


 Happy New Year one and all!!! We managed to stay up until midnight...actually 1:30...to finish watching the series 1883...we couldn't go to bed with just one episode left!!! That allowed me to complete my final finish for 2022, which I can't share since it's a gift. We were signed up to do the New Year's Eve hike at the state park, but it rained all day and into the evening and we figured it would be a muddy....and likely slippery.... mess.

I spent some time yesterday deciding on what to pick as my New Year start. I chose a project I have been hunting for for over 15 years, Sailor's Valentine by CA Wells. A group of us was scheduled to take this class at Salty Yarns back in 2007, but CA cancelled at the last minute saying the group wasn't BIG enough to warrant her time. Long and short of it, I've been trying to find it and finally posted on one of the ISO pages on FB. A friend saw my plea and gifted me her used chart. I'm admitting up front...this is going to be a challenge!!! It's a terrible chart to start with and instructions are extremely limited..... I know it's pre-computer programs..... but I feel I can fall back on the experience I've gleaned from all my classes with excellent teachers. So, here's issue #1.....the chart itself is like one I've never seen. When I counted out the stitch count I came up with a number, chose a higher count fabric because I wanted it smaller, and cut my fabric accordingly. However, upon further investigation, I noticed she leaves a row of blank graph paper squares between each row of stitches. This made the size of the finished piece much smaller than I thought. So, I had to change my fabric..... and I had already cut it into four pieces..... or the piece would have been too tiny. Is this clear as mud??? Bottom line...thank goodness another friend had sent me photos of her finished piece and I saw, in time, the error of my...or should I say CA's ways!!! LOL    So, I hope you'll come along for the wild ride and be safe from my future cursing!!! In the end, I chose 32 ct White Chocolate linen with a combo of silks.

 

I hope your new year is off to a good start with lots of wonderful stitching opportunities. Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship!

Stasi
 


8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful project Stasi! I hope it goes a lot smoother than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry the rain ruined your hiking plans, but I do believe you made the wise choice. We were up until about 12:45 because I was piddling around with IG. Your New Year start sounds like it will be interesting. You know, I will be here to cheer (or swear along) you on. Happy New Year, Stasi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a challenging project, but I know you will conquer it... will be looking forward to seeing the finish! I've chosen some comfort stitching for my New Year's start... Prairie Schooler... happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better you than me on your new start, Stasi :) That sounds like it's beyond my capabilities! But, I'll look forward to seeing it grow... We were watching the new Knives Out movie, Glass Onion, until about midnight on New Year's Eve--first time in years we stayed up! And then we couldn't get to sleep because the movie was too exciting at the end. Sigh... Happy New Year ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing progress on this piece. That was unforgivable of CA to cancel at the last minute, so great that you managed to get the chart anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This project sounds interesting.
    I can't wait to see your progress.
    Good luck!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Stasi. I don't know the chart (will have to look it up) but that sounds totally confusing to me. I didn't get off to a good start with my New year project either, so I think we are both going to be cursing, Lol! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got it figured out before you started! I wonder if it was ever corrected or updated?
    You've chosen some pretty colours!

    ReplyDelete