THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

A Day of Thanks............


 Today is a somber day.....it is hard to believe that 60 years ago, JFK was assassinated in Dallas. It is definitely one of those "I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news" days. I was 10 and it was Friday afternoon "art" time; we were making paper turkeys with bright colored feathers out of construction paper. How many of you have made those? Our principal came in and told the class the president had been shot; we immediately stopped our projects and prayed for him. A short time later we were told he had died. I remember being anxious all weekend, having trouble sleeping and then seeing Lee Harvey Oswald get shot and killed live on TV. The news coverage was nothing like it is today, but we were glued to our small b/w television all weekend. A sad, sad time for our country, but we got through it. And that gives me pause and hope for our country in these troubled times.  What are your memories of that day...if you were around?

Following on the them of "hope", here is my Hope angel from BOAF. Sorry, so dark  but it is rainy and dreary here.


On a lighter note, we recently had someone ring our doorbell one evening, after dark. When I got to the door, they were gone but a small stuffed snowman was left in the middle of our front porch. We were, and still are puzzled, but I sat the snowman on a ledge to see what may follow. Anybody have an ideas..is this like getting "boo'd" at Halloween? We aren't sure if we are supposed to do something or it's just a prank.


If you are in the states, I'm sending Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you and your family. If you are not in the US, I wish you a blessed weekend. I am thankful for all of you who take time to read and comment on my blog...it means a lot to me.

"I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new".---
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship!
Stasi

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your memories of JFK's passing Stasi. Brian and I visited the sites in Dallas years ago. Your hope angel is so precious. I think the snowman is a sweet gift. Have a Blessed Thanksgiving my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't have memories from that time as I was 3. I remember seeing pictures from that time being shared in mid-elementary school and beyond. What a cute snowman that was left! Not sure what it is all about though! Wishing you and yours a very blessed Thanksgiving, Stasi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Stasi: I was in 7th grade, in Catholic School, all the Nuns were crying, Mother Superior made us all kneel and say many Prayers, it was a day i will never forget. Love this Angel so sweet, I know you will have an amazing finish.

    Happy Blessed Thanksgiving
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone of a certain age remembers that day 60 years ago, Stasi. I was 8 and remember the principal coming in, telling our teacher, and then we all had to put our head down desks (cradled by our arms). I don't think we prayed as it was a public school, but I do remember going home early and how somber all the adults were. Certainly a dark day in our history...

    Love the Hope angel--such pretty colors. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving Day with your family ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that day clearly.
    We were in school & had to go to the church & pray when we got the news.
    The Snowman is a mystery! He's cute though.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know where November has gone and I'm just playing catch-up, as usual. Your stitching over the last month has been beautiful and as always, you have been so busy. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. 60 years has little diminished the scope of the loss we experienced that day.
    We were never quite the same again....but hope springs eternal and we picked
    ourselves up and continued with living. That is the spirit of America. May all
    have a most blessed Thanksgiving in this land of the free and home of the
    brave.

    ReplyDelete