THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Red Swan Mending Bag ...... (326)

Today's Stroll piece is a class that I took, from Merry Cox, through Criss Cross Row in 2006. It is the Red Swan Mending Bag and its accompanying smalls. A fun, fun piece with interesting construction techniques. I hope you get the idea from the photos. The initials on the bottom are mine, hubby's, two daughters and son-in-law. We made the one waxer in class out of a pair of shank metals buttons. I remember us sitting on the beeswax during class to soften it up! :)






I finally got to a project (non stitching related) that has been on my to do list for awhile (even while we were in WV). I had seen these large tree decals you attach to your wall and then hang family photos on.....a literal family tree!!!  I 'grew' the tree yesterday and now have to hang the photos. It wasn't hard to do, but took a lot of rubbing...I think it was worth the effort. It is approximately 90 X 107 inches and I did it in our eating area (I don't have a dining room). I'll share it again after I get photos hung. Now if I could only figure out a way to incorporate that white switch plate!!!
 

 
Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship! Have a great Saturday!

Stasi

7 comments:

  1. The Red Swan Mending Bag is neat! So is your tree idea.Yes, I am stumped as to making your switch plate blend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rub some leaves on it or turn the light switch into a birdhouse or bird feeder. What a gorgeous set you created with needle and thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tree! Always wanted to do this too. I’d paint the light switch the wall color and then add some leaves to the light switch to make it “invisible”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job on the Red Swan Bag! And I agree about turning the light switch into something like a a birds nest. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Red Swan Mending bag. You did a great job putting it together. The first thing I thought of was staining a wood switch plate the color of the branches. But I love the idea of a birdhouse or nest so much. Can't wait to see what you come up with. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mending Bag is fantastic - beautifully stitched and finished! I love the tricky way it works - one of Merry's most clever designs, IMO.

    Family tree in pictures on a tree - what a cool idea! Other commenters have made some great suggestions about the switchplate. Painting it the same color as the wall is probably the most practical, but the idea of making it be a birdhouse sounds fun - the switch itself could be camouflaged in a black oval painted hole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stasi, Merry Cox was such a talented designer. This is truly another great piece of art, I love the patterns and the construction of this project is amazing! Love how the sides open up to display the bag.

    What a great idea the tree is, I think I would paint the switchplate the same color as the wall and just add extra leaves to it so it all blends in. I think a birdhouse is a great idea but you wouln't see one on the edge of the branch like that.

    ReplyDelete