THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Friday, September 22, 2017

Toy Chest Etui Smalls Part 2 .......(265)

Today I'll share the final toys from my Toy Chest Etui. Betsy kept coming up with more "toy" ideas and/or stitchers were suggesting them to her. And I'm glad of it because I now have an overflowing toy box! :)



The last few toys were stitched in 2011 and 2012. They are a Jack-in-the Box Emory, Paint Box Needle Threader Case and Hobby Horse Awl/Laying Tool Cover.



Pop up Emory
 A couple years ago I saw a wooden box put out by Liberty Hill and thought it would make a perfect "presentation" box for my Toy Chest. It fits perfectly inside and mirrors the  PA Dutch/Amish theme....win-win!!!




A little story to end my visit with the Toy Chest Etui. As I had mentioned previously, I stitched this to honor my first born grandchild, Asher. I showed the Box to Asher when he was 3-4 years old and explained it was his but that he wouldn't actually "get" until he was much older. When he came to visit the next time (we were still in WV then) he asked to play with his toys. I told him I'd go pull out the bag of Fisher Price toys for him. He said "no, Mimi....my toys" and proceeded to lead me to my curio cabinet. You know the thoughts going through my head now.....Uh, oh, he wants to actually "handle" my beloved stitched pieces.....didn't foresee this coming....now how do I get out of this predicament??? But, in the end, I explained we'd have to be gentle with them but, since they were his, he could "play" with them. So we sat on my bed and he looked them all over, asked what they were for and quietly put them back in the chest. He'd ask the same thing over his next few visits, but now at age 9 has lost interest. Hopefully when the time comes for him to inherit, he'll remember those times and know how much his Mimi loves him.

Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship!

Stasi

5 comments:

  1. Stasi, whether or not he will appreciate all the work put into his special box he will know how much his Mini lives him.That is so sweet that he remembered his special toys and wanted to play with them. The presentation box was meant to be. It must have been fun adding the tools, I'm partial to the horse and I'm going to look up what a Emory is! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stasi, whether or not he will appreciate all the work put into his special box he will know how much his Mini lives him.That is so sweet that he remembered his special toys and wanted to play with them. The presentation box was meant to be. It must have been fun adding the tools, I'm partial to the horse and I'm going to look up what a Emory is! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! The horse and the paint box are soooooooo awesome. I love the story you shared with us Stasi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What precious toys you created! Love the horse and the paintbox; both are so unique and clever. I think you should write up the little story you shared and include it in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Especially like the paintbox and hobby horse - wonderful designs. As always, your finishing is superb (bet the horse was tricky). What fun the the toybox itself is full full full!

    How dear that Asher was interested enough to want to play with the toys, but knew they needed to be handled gently. With a start like that, I'm sure he'll appreciate them when they become his.

    ReplyDelete