THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Friday, December 30, 2016

Ending 2016 in a Good Place

Whew---time flies when you're having fun....and even when you're not particularly. 

2016 has definitely been a very trying year, mentally, emotionally and physically but, it will be behind us very shortly. We sold our business, sold our house in WV, bought a new house in VA, packed two Pods, moved to a a temporary house, moved again to the new house, unpacked two pods, fought two months with the USPS to get our mail forwarded correctly to the new house, and all the other various and sundry tasks associated with these major life changes. Throw in our daughters wedding in October, which was lovely, and it makes for a very exciting and challenging year. But, we are settling in, enjoying the Richmond area and being closer to our older daughter and her family. (On a side note, our two grand children from Sierra Leone are still not here, but we think we are in the final stretch!)

So, here are the highlights since my last blog post:
 First up, here is where me, hubby and my stitching now abide. We're working to get the inside to feel like "home" slowly but surely.

 My younger daughter got married in October in Brevard, NC. We drove my parents down to attend and had a wonderful time. It did rain the day of the wedding ---only rain in over two months in her area (sadly, she lives close to where the fires were in NC), but all turned out beautifully!!! Here is a photo of our family!
Photo by M-Pact Studios
 And here is a close up of her bouquet...all made from felted wool!
Photo by M-Pact Studios   


Not long after the wedding, I made my first solo trip to Ocean City for a weekend of stitching. To my surprise, it was the exact same distance as my drive from WV---woo-hoo---I can do the drive......and I won't have to miss this!


I joined the Virginia Guild of Needlewomen and have been to three meetings. One was a fun class with Beth from Summer House Stitche Workes where we made a drum called Harvest Home. My finished drum got packed away with my fall decorations but here is a photo.
 We also had an afternoon class to make a Commemorative Anniversary Postcard project. It is the 50th anniversary of the Guild--what an accomplishment!!! I am so happy to have the opportunity to meet with fellow stitchers and share our passion. In December, we had a tea and mini class to make an adorable reindeer pincushion.
 We have attended many football games, both for the football and cheer leading, helped out at school and had sleepovers with the grand kids---exactly the reason we moved here.

On the stitching front, not a lot has been accomplished but I have managed to squeeze some in. I worked on the Samsarah calendar while driving to and fro and have July almost complete (3 of the 4).
 I got the annual Christmas ornaments done for the grand kids. Asher is a big Cubs fan and Cora dreams of living in Paris. I try to pick a theme that means something to them that year.

 I was able to go to Williamsburg and meet up with my friend, Paola, while she was attending the Annie's seminar. This was my early birthday gift to her. It is Call of the Mermaid by Sherri Jones. I bought the kit from someone on the internet. The original kit was made into a small ultrasuede "purse" but I thought it worked perfectly on this Longaberger basket. It is stitched on 34 count silk gauze. I might just have to search for this basket and do one for myself too!!!
 Okay, if you have stayed with me this far---you may be a glutton for punishment, but I appreciate it very much. I do this to share my love of stitching with others of like mind, but also as a journal of sorts for me.  So thanks for hanging in there; I will try  to keep up now that things are calming down. I'm off to do some unpacking and organizing in my craft room.

So, as we end an old year and begin a new one, thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship. See you in 2017!!! Happy New Year!!!
Stasi
 

15 comments:

  1. Stasi,

    Great to see you back to blogging! Your new home is beautiful and I can't wait to see how you make it yours.

    Happy New Year!

    Syd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stasi, it was good to see and read your newest post. What a lovely new home you moved into! Thanks for the chuckle about the drive to OC being the same distance so you can still attend. I enjoyed seeing your pictures. Wishing you a very Happy New Year; may it be filled with lots of stitching moments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MerryChristmas, Happy New Year, Congratulations (on the wedding), best wishes (new house), and whew....all the rest! The bouquet is awesome. Did you make it? So glad you are settled. It surely must have been trying at times. Your new home looks lovely...........wow to your year. So glad you can make the drive to OCMD for those necessary weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to get caught up with you Stasi. Your daughter is a beautiful bride. Thank you for sharing the wedding pictures. Your finishes are great Stasi. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stasi, enjoyed your wrap up of your year! Seems like more happy than sad, good news. Here's to a great 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! Hope to see you t Salty Yarns sometime soon. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. So happy to see that you're settling in--and look forward to seeing you in Ocean City in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ann, already signed up for some classes. How about you?

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you've had a very busy year.
    Love that mermaid basket.
    Happy New Year!!!!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year!! I hope you make many wonderful memories here in VA both stitching and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. first, your daughter looked so beautiful on her wedding day! The pic on the porch is lovely! Her bouquet is spectacular! How creative!
    Love your new home! I'm sure it'll be set up and feel just right in no time. You will love Richmond, if you don't already.
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just catching up on blog posts. Looks like a full year for sure. Love the new house...so cute! I'm glad you found a guild to join. There's nothing like stitching sisters. Love the ornaments too. I have a coworker that would die over that Cubs one. LOL! Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on all fronts....the bouquet is beautiful. Is your daughter into wool? So lovely and colorful. Beautiful finishes for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. My daughter happened across those on Etsy; she wanted something different and "fall-y" for her bouquet

      Delete