THE BUZZ FROM THE HIVE

Sunday, December 13, 2015

On the Tree!!!

Okay, I have to get this off my chest-----it is NOT feeling very "Christmassy" around here with 70 degree weather!!! Where is the snow and Jack-frost nipping at my nose??? Last year I remember cutting down our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving with snow on the ground. This year, hubby is out taking a motorcycle ride!!!

So, to get myself in the mood, I've been working on my grand kids Christmas ornaments. I give them one every year and they each have a small tree in their rooms that they hang them on. This year I reached back into my "oldie but goodie" box of charts and pulled out a Need'l Love design called Warm Wooly Mitten Stuffers-- the year I bought it being 1994. I've had the Heatherfield fabrics on standby for over 20 years and thought it was about time to break them out of bondage! I used 16 count over two and stitched them with DMC#5 perle cotton. I embellished with JABCO buttons and did sew the top closed; that fabric unravels too easily and I just wasn't feeling like lining them--bad Mimi!!! So here are the 2015 ornaments--ta da!!!!
Size approx. 3 1/2 X 5"

Kids initials on the back



I've continued to work on The Shepherds Fold, A Full Heart, but am going to put it away until after the holidays when I can think about what I want to do at the top. Here's where I am so far:

I also managed to get two more of the Samsarah calendar pieces stitched on my travels.
Oops--just realized I need to stitch the birdhouse center!
 We went to Black Mountain, NC for Thanksgiving so I had about 14 hours in the car to work on them. We managed to visit both the Biltmore House and the Grove Park Inn for their annual gingerbread house competition. Here's a couple of the entries.


 We stayed in a beautiful log home at the top of a mountain that was able to accommodate our family, as well as my brother-in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner. One thing I was most thankful for was that my younger daughter's boyfriend cooked our Thanksgiving dinner for us. He is a chef and did an outstanding job....everything from scratch and oh so yummy!!! Shout out to Alex!!!!

High Rock Haven


Now on to the holiday season with all its delights....and stress! I'm trying to be very low key this year...simplifying......we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for stopping by and your "twisted threads" of friendship!

Stasi





6 comments:

  1. My sentiments exactly....kind of hard to get into the spirit when it is 70 degrees and you don't even need a sweater.......and trying to simplify too. Let's see how I (we) do. The mitten ornaments are adorable. Each year I say I am going to stitch some ornaments but never have. Maybe 2016! Happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on breaking out the Heatherfield and getting the ornaments stitched for the grandchildren! And I totally agree with you on the "getting in the spirit of things" when it is 70+ and it looks like the grass is perking up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! Even up here in Wisconsin, we hit 60ยบ yesterday. The grass is very green also. I am also lacking motivation.
    Love the mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mittens. They are very cute, and you did such a good job on them. Merry Christmas, Stasi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! Merry Christmas and hope to see you sometime next year at Salty Yarns!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Debbie! Merry Christmas and hope to see you sometime next year at Salty Yarns!

      Delete